Saturday 13 June 2015

Fish & Chips Friday

It happens to me from time to time, it happened recently: I had a huge crave for fish and chips. It was satisfied yesterday, as we went to the best fish and chips shop in town (there are only two, actually) and I bought this meal for myself. On Friday, it is fitting to have fish and chips. It was delicious, but lacking in malt vinegar. A shame: I specifically asked to pour an ocean of malt vinegar on the dish. After all, you can't drown a fish, especially not when it has been deep fried like this one. And you need the malt vinegar to unclog your arteries with all the fat you eat in a portion like this one. Well, that is my rationale regarding it anyway.

So my fish and chips craving has been satisfied again, in spite of the disappointment regarding the condiment. It should not reappear for a few weeks. With any luck I will only crave fish and chips during our stay in York, where apparently, from what I once heard/read they make the best fish and chips of the country. I will try to have them on a Friday, just because it is fitting.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

For an atheist, you sure adhere to the Catholic tradition of eating fish on Fridays. Sheesh, not even Catholics do that anymore!

Nellie said...

Yum! Love fish and chips!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i live in a city that is a big fish and chips place. almost every cafe and restaurant offers a version. during lent, there are fish and chip and fish sandwich wars amongst the restaurants and almost all of them claim to have the best ones in town. and now i will horrify everyone by saying that my favorite fried fish sandwich is one with fish, cheese, sauerkraut and tartar sauce, sprinkled with malt vinegar while eating! our restaurants hand you a bottle of malt vinegar with your order. no one would eat it without their own bottle.

Gwen Buchanan said...

A good fish and chips sure hits the spot!

Guillaume said...

I knew this post was going to be popular. Thank you all for commenting.
@Debra-See, it's the best part of Catholicism (and there are not many good parts of it) that they did away with, while they kept all the rubbish. Fish Friday is a nice and delicious tradition, I don't see why I should not follow it because I'm an apostate.