Saturday 27 June 2015

Hansel & Gretel

This week, at the school where my wife works, they did with the children a stage adaptation of Hansel and Gretel. Unfortunately I could not go and see it, but it made me want rediscover the old take. Like many old fairy tales, I find this one deliciously terrifying. I know the stage version the pupils played had been toned down with many comedic moments. I will know more about it, as we are going to see my wife's friend and her daughter and her friend (the ticklers), both pupils at her school, will tell me all about it. Until later, I will leave you with this old animated adaptation by Ray Harryhausen, who was very young at the time. The children look almost as creepy as the witch. Harryhausen takes a few liberties with the story, but still it is a great take on the tale, with an ugly, evil, sinister, nasty witch that could scare even the most adult adults.

2 comments:

Nellie said...

I love the way Gretel shakes her finger at Hansel when he sweeps the dirt under the rug!:-) Great cleaning the windows! Perhaps she can come here and clean ours.:-) Enjoy visiting your friends!

Unknown said...

I've never seen this before. I love Harryhausen. His stuff has so much more of an effect on me than CGI stuff does.

Thank you!