Tuesday 16 June 2015

Sunday at the Regatta

I never thought I would say this, especially not after my last post on the topic, but Sunday I had a lovely time at the regatta. Granted, I didn't see the boats (this picture was taken back in 2013 at a completely different time and yes I uploaded it before) and I barely saw the Thames. But it was as if the bad crop from the day and night before were all suffering from a heavy hangover (which they probably were) and all that was left was the family and community orientated events. I really felt like I belonged here, in this town, and it does not happen very often. In the afternoon my wife gave a concert as a member the local orchestra in the park by the Thames. Typing this, I guess we are really locals now. Anyway, so she gave her concert in the afternoon and then in the evening we went to see an operetta by Offenbach, showing live on a screen, in the park again. The night was cool, but I had thought to bring warm clothes and even the discomfort of sitting of the ground and getting pins and needles had some kind of charm. Watching a show outdoor simply enhances the experience with a unique atmosphere. It just felt right. So I am surprised to say, but it was the best Sunday I had in a very long time.

1 comment:

Craig said...

How lovely... an outdoor concert is indeed a treat. It's been a long time since I attended one.