Sunday 29 September 2013

An Owl

This is, well, the picture of the painting of an owl, very badly framed by me. I took it last summer, in an art exhibition in the local C of E church. I was waiting for a moment to upload it. This is maybe the last picture I upload in September. It is kind of fitting. I consider owls autumnal creatures. They are often featured in Autumnwatch, which I cannot wait to see this year. Sadly, it will be on much later this year, at the end of October. This is way too late, but I guess they cannot get it started in early September. Owls, especially barn owls like this one seems to be, are associated with ghosts. And Halloween is getting closer and closer, so that's a good reason as any. I have only seen glimpses of them in the wild, but I have heard them. Their cry are indeed ghostly and very haunting.

3 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

such a handsome owl. just one month until halloween!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's a famous Canadian novel called "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" -- I can't remember who it is by but I read it a gazillion years ago and enjoyed it. I think they may have made a movie out of it too, if memory serves me right.

Gwen Buchanan said...

...just 3 days ago, I saw an owl early one morning flying close to the treetops.. seemed like he had been disturbed. they have a very distinct silhouette when flying. I loved being able to catch a glimpe of a creature that usually isn't about in daylight.
Happy Autumn!