Thursday 8 October 2015

Monster pumpkin?

Two days ago, I bought my first pumpkin to make a Jack O'Lantern. This is the one on the picture. At Sainsbury's, they call it a monster pumpkin, it costs three punds instead of two, which is the price of the "normal" size ones. Monster pumpkin is what it says on the label and what it said in the huge box where this one was. I suppose it means that it is a particularly big pumpkin. I don't see it. I mean, see on this post/picture is what you can find in Montreal, for five dollars, and they are much bigger. Not to mention cheaper. Monster pumpkin indeed! Anyway, this is the first one I buy this year, not the last. My wife thinks I would have more luck in one of these farmers' shops we have nearby, and I tend to agree. So it will be my project for the upcoming weekends: find a worthy pumpkin to be my master Jack O'Lantern.

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A worthy quest indeed.

Deadpan Flook said...

You will definitely be far more likely to get a decent-sized pumpkin at the Farmer's Market I reckon! If not, you could always forget Pumpkins altogether and have a traditional Scottish Turnip lantern! ;)

PJ said...

Je te crois, mais c'est dur d'évaluer la taille sans élément visuel de comparaison.

Rook Wilder said...

If you intend to carve multiple pumpkins, I believe you should be able to find a variety of sizes with a bit of searching. You could then carve a plethora of pumpkin pieces, if you are thus inclined.
That is, however, a fine looking pumpkin with a good color and no blemishes that I can see in your picture.
Happy hunting.

Anonymous said...

thats a beauty!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that is a good project to have. i only have three so far, the shame is unbearable! it's too hot this year. two of them are already starting to rot.

Cynthia said...

J'ai hâte de voir ce que tu en feras :)