Tuesday 11 August 2015

"Back to School"

I saw this recently on the front window of the local Accessorize/Monsoon. My wife is quite fond of this shop, so we often end up there. I am not sure I like the shop all that much now. But anyway, I saw this and it struck me: "Back to School." And we are still in the first half of August. I think this is the first shop on the high street advertizing the new school year. I know I am a grownup, I haven't been working in school for more than five years now, I haven't been a student in school for even longer, my year is no longer arranged according to the school year, but it still has the same effect on me. Like a stab on the holidays. And every time I see it, the August melancholy comes roaring. It never fails. It is something deeply ingrained in the psyche since childhood. I have first uploaded this picture on Facebook, and judging by the reactions of my friends, I am not the only one feeling like this. This window makes them all feel gloomy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it does bring a certain feeling of sadness to see stores with back to school stuff out for sale,, seems summer zips by so fast,
, but as a child I looked forward to school, I was lonely, no other children around, so I loved school!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

school starts here in a couple of weeks. i am such a nerd but i loved when summer ended and it was time to go back to school. i loved new tablets and crayons and pencils. i still buy my kids a big box of crayola crayon each september just for the fun of it. they get to smell them and then give them away to children.

Craig said...

I know what you mean, I dreaded it too. By the way Scottish schools re open next week as they break up much earlier than England. The kids going back usually heralds better weather - lets hope so!