Monday 17 August 2015

Wild geese flying south

There is another sure sign of autumn coming I have been witnessing these days. Or rather these evenings: for the last few evenings, I could hear and see wild geese flying from north to south. Last year I saw geese flying in September, now it is in August. And it happens with the regularity of clockwork: when the sun goes down, you can hear them coming, flying over the house, going straight south. It tried to take a picture of them on Saturday evening, but they were too fast and it was already too dark. Geese can be elusive. It makes me feel all fuzzy inside watching them, all eager to see more signs of autumn. Wild geese flying also remind me of Selma Lagerlöf's The Wonderful Adventures of Nils, which is one of the things that made me discover Sweden. You can read more about this memory of mine here. So anyway, when I see wild geese flying, I think of two things: Nils Holgersson and autumn coming. When the flock flies south of course.

2 comments:

Ms Misantropia said...

"Ja é en liden gåsapåg från Skåååneee, en skåning som du vet arr alltied trygg!"

Sorry, I just had to :)

So, your sister is Swedish? Is she a half sister?

Guillaume said...

No, she is not even related, not biologically anyway, she is a foreign exchange student who lived with my family for a year. But I always said she was my sister.