Thursday 5 August 2010

Missing this summer?

This is what I was wondering yesterday. I don't mean because I am working, I mean that it is already August, it has not been very hot so far and the weather has been average at best, and there a lot of things associated with summer that we haven't done. Swimming is one of course. A chat with one of our neighbours yesterday reminded us that we haven't had a barbecue this year. My grandfather used to eat outside way into Autumn, so I guess it is not too late technically (and it could make for a resurrected family tradition), but I doubt my wife would like the idea much. Oh, and a small anecdotal thing I miss: eating a whole fresh mango. I used to eat one at this street festival on the Plateau Mont-Royal. It was offered by one of the fruiteries there. They were putting the mango on a stick with bits of dry chili on it. Delicious and original. I have never seen anything like this outside Montreal.

3 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Last year that happened to us Guillaume. No Summer! at least as far as I was concerned.. rain, rain,fog then more rain.. it was great for ducks and slugs but that was all..

but this year it is like a miracle .. we are having the best summer in years.. we are having so much good weather that you are welcome to half.. I did post about fog today but it is almost a celebration to get some this year...

hope the sun starts shining on you and yours!

PJ said...

Je pense que je vais relire Mafalda au retour à la maison. Je me rappelle des moments de lecture aigres-doux à la fin août il y a des années, en avant sur la galerie au coucher du soleil. Si tu trouves les bouquins en Angleterre, Mafalda est un excellent choix de lecture en fin d'été.

Guillaume said...

@Gwen-Oh we had summery days and we might still have some. But I feel like we didn't make the best of them and I don't know if we will if they come back.
PJ-Je dois relire Mafalda, mais je ne la trouve pas ici. C'est une lecture parfaite pour la fin des vacances, notamment parce que le personnage comprend parfaitement le sentiment qui nous anime quand ça arrive.