Tuesday 29 March 2016

"Tell us a joke"

This is what the two women working at the tills of the local Marks & Spencer asked me last Saturday. It was Holy Saturday, a few hours before closing time and I could tell they were bored stiff. It must be really boring working in a shop, any shop, the day before a day like Easter. As the staff from M&S there is always nice and friendly to me, whatever the time of the day, I told them the first joke that came to my mind: "There was two men on a boat. One had long hair, the other one didn't mind." It's a lousy old joke a friend used to tell us (my brothers and me) when we were bored and didn't know what to do. The lousiest joke I could ever come up, yet it made them laugh. I don't know if it was to be polite or because they were tired, but they said it was a good one. It is a good example of absurd humour and I thought I would share it and the anecdote on the blog.

No comments: