Tuesday 22 March 2016

What's the excuse, this time?

So you must all know about the terrorist attack today in Brussels. I am so sick and tired of it. I was sad and angry at the Charlie Hebdo massacre back in 2015, sad and angry at the terrorist attack in November in Paris. Now the sadness, although there, has been buried in anger, so I just feel furious. The first thing I said, learning about Islamist terrorists going at it again was: "What's their f*cking excuse, this time?" The US policy? Oh no, the attack was done in Europe. Belgium's colonial past? The difficulties of immigrants to find a place in a Western society? Capitalist exploitation? Islamophobia? I know we'll read and hear these sorry excuses from the religious right and the regressive left. Because a certain left easily betrays its principle and is blind to see said principles being trampled when the perpetrator is an Islamist. Anyway, these are my two cents: I'm furious and there's no excuse for savagery.

And I will end this post with an anecdote: today a French client told me over the phone that she hoped my friends and family were all right. It took me a moment to see that she thought I was a Belgium. Usually, I find it funny. Today it felt like tragic irony.

3 comments:

Rachel Lucas said...

There is no excuse. Ever. All most people in this world want is to live, eat, sleep, earn enough money to afford necessities, give & receive love, enjoy their leisure time. These scum seek to cause misery, fear, chaos...and to what purpose? Absolutely indefensible.

Prof Solitaire said...

Well said... now brace yourself for the usual bullshit...

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i just feel so tired. how can this be cured? it is so so sad.