Sunday 20 March 2016

Atlas holding the world

It is the Spring equinox today and I was wondering how to commemorate it on the blog with a bit of originality. So this is a statue of Atlas holding the world which you can see at the National History Museum. Now I know that seasonal changes in Greek mythology were not brought by Atlas but by the stays of Persephone in and out of Hades and her mother Demeter's sorrow/joy. But still, it is the Earth that is changing and maybe Atlas does provoke the equinox by moving the world on a slightly different angle. Or something. It is also around Springtime and Easter (which is imminent) that I started getting into Greek mythology as a child, so it makes sense that I upload this picture of Atlas to celebrate Spring coming. And I am in the mood to read Greek mythology today.