Tuesday 1 March 2016

Saint David's Day and me

First and foremost, for those who do not know, the first of March is of course Saint David's Day, the national day of Wales, because Saint David is their patron saint. Google commemorated it with an absolutely magnificent Doodle, with the Welsh red dragon hanging on the L and daffodils. I had to share it. I owe a lot to Welsh culture, being specialized in medieval Arthurian literature. The most vivid memory I have of Saint David's Day comes from when I was at uni, doing an amateur production of Le malade imaginaire. Many of the cast were Welsh. At the end of the performance, each threw daffodils at the crowd, wearing a Welsh flag. I remember it to this day and at that moment I wished I had been Welsh. I loved their flag so much that I bought one, which is now somewhere at my parents' home. I wish I could have it here today.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is indeed a beautiful Google Doodle!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am part welsh!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Google does indeed do many lovely doodles but this one they seem to have out done themselves. Lovely to read your connections. I, too, am deeply interested in Arthurian literature but have not studied for some time.