Saturday 12 September 2015

You call that a bagel?

I blogged before about the Perky Peacock. I wanted to blog about it again, because it was a lovely experience, for one, and also because I found something a bit... odd in their menu. This thing. It is called "toasted cinnamon and raisin bagel". I was maybe too polite not to correct them when I was there, the Montrealer I am has to say it in case you want to try it: this is most certainly not a bagel. This is a proper bagel. These are bagels. What the Perky Peacock calls bagels is toasted raisin bread. Do not get me wrong: it is very good. It is perfect for breakfast, perfect for tea time too, just sweet enough and very filling. Great value for money. But it is not a bagel. If you want to have a delicious breakfast in York at a very decent price (£2.50), go to the Perky Peacock and order one of these. If you want to know what is a proper bagel, go to Montreal, or find yourself a baker who is a Montreal expat. This was good, but no bagel.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

They call any damn thing a bagel these days.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

They look more like toasted teacakes to me. Definitely not a bagel, but still making me hungry now.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

montreal bagels are the best. hands down.

Cynthia said...

Err, ça me fait penser aux français fous de la nourriture américaine qui donnent des noms américains à des plats qui n'ont rien à voir avec les originaux!