Monday 7 September 2015

An evening on Anthony Burgess and Shakespeare

There are rare moments in my life when I wished I lived closer (even closer) to London. Today is one of those days: Waterstones Piccadilly is hosting a discussion on Anthony Burgess and William Shakespeare, or more precisely about Burgess's biography of the Bard. Which is great, but I guess they will also speak of Nothing Like the Sun, Burgess's novelization of Shakespeare's life, which is even greater. Andrew Biswell will be there. I have met him a few times and he's always interesting. Very knowledgeable too. Sadly, because of work (I finish at 5:30PM, the discussion starts at 6:30PM), I don't think I can get there on time. And with many other things going on, a trip to London is highly unlikely. Shame, shame, shame. But for those who can be there, because they live in or near London, or because they have free time, it's on the 18th of September. Go. It's going to be good.

1 comment:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I empathise. I live an eight hour journey by bus and train from London, and always feel I'm missing out. Still, it is a small, albeit sometimes irksome, price to pay for living in the west of Wales.