Friday 6 March 2015

Judging a beer by its bottle

I took this picture in Montreal, it was a beer my brother bought. It is from the German (micro?)brewery Höss (or Hoess) and it is called Doppel-Hirsch. I always find strange to buy foreign beers in Montreal now, because we have such a great variety of local products. But back in the days when I was an undergraduate student, Montreal made me discover beers from all around the world. My brother spent a year in Germany, so I guess this is one thing that interested him about the Doppel-Hirsch. But I think it was also because of the bottle, especially its label: the two stags fighting. It gives you a strong impression. I have to confess, I don't remember much about the beer itself, except that I enjoyed beer and that it tasted like a dark beer should. I prefer dark beers. Its history on the brewery's website is fascinating: a recipe dating back from Middle Ages, the modern take invented by Italian monks (Italians as beer brewers? that is something I wouldn't suspect). But all I truly remember is the label, and the colour of the beer itself, a woody reddish brown. It impressed me enough that I took the picture you see. I would drink it again just so I could appreciate the bottle.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm not much of a beer drinker but I prefer dark beers too.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i have never liked beer. i would like to but i just don't.