Sunday 8 March 2015

Stanley Kubrick, In Memoriam

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death – however mutable man may be able to make them – our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light."

Yesterday was the day Stanley Kubrick died. People of a generation remember when they learned the death of Kennedy, I remember the day I learned of the death of Stanley Kubrick. I was in a newsagent and they announced his death on the radio. By fate or chance (and I don't believe in fate so it was chance), I was watching clips of his movies when I remember that it was the anniversary of his death. He was an amazing filmmaker and my favorite. As an homage, I am showing two clips from 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was the first Kubrick movie I saw, it may have been his best. The first scene is the epiphany of one of our primate ancestors in the discovery of technology and the second shows the development of this discovery millions of years later, sending the human species closer to the stars. Nothing trivial.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love the opening quotation -- "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." So true and so profound.