Wednesday 18 March 2015

Yesterday's St Patrick's Day

So although I promised I would blog more yesterday, I did not. I was too busy celebrating in the local Irish pub. It had been closed all day and opened in the evening. I had already started in another pub earlier on in the afternoon. So I enjoyed drinking Guinness, with a shot of Jameson to accompany it. Jameson may not be the most sophisticated or the most renown whiskey, but it goes beautifully with a beer, especially a stout. I am starting to think it is a sine qua non drink to go with the Guinness, although it does bring up my alcohol intake and increases the risk of hangover. I do have a bit of one today, although it is not the complete Irish flu.

So I drank, ate (more on this in another post) and got merry. I even sang a bit of Irish songs, as there was a band playing. Well, a man with a guitar and another one with a violin. The landlord and landlady couldn't just go with a playlist, not in a respectable Irish pub. I did not know all the lyrics, but I have heard all the songs. It is a great way to stay patient while you are waiting to be served. Because there was a lot of people and service was slow. My wife and I even met at random some of our neighbours. You see the drink of the man on the picture. It was Beck's with a green colouring. I say this partially as a disclaimer as I would never drink this, not even drunk. I always wear green on St Paddy's, but never ever drink green. The proper alcohols for the day have to be Irish and, when it comes to beer, very black.

6 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

and all i had was tea...damn!

PJ said...

Fiddle. En anglais, un violon dans ce contexte (plus violonneux, « traditionnel », folk, que classique) c'est fiddle et non pas violin.

Et, dans mon cas, ma St-Patrick s'est limitée au thé... vert, parce que j'avais pas d'Irish Breakfast et j'étais pas pour boire du thé anglais.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

If you're not sick as a dog today, you didn't party enough!

Veggie Carrie said...

@PJ - I tried to explain that to him in the pub, but he wasn't listening to me!

Veggie Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nellie said...

It sounds like you had the kind of party you enjoyed!

Thank you for your visits to my blog. I appreciate your comments.