Thursday 19 March 2015

Beowulf

I book this book in the independent bookshop of Wallingford, during my last visit. I know the story of Beowulf, but never read the epic poem itself. I think I have one version back in Chicoutimi, which I bought decades ago, but I wanted to have one here available to read whenever I feel like it. Which might be soon. Beside, I love the new covers of the Penguin books for such legendary/epic stories. It is the same cover for the translation of the saga of the Volsungs. Looking modern, yet so much as it makes you forget this is an old story you are going to read. And Grendel looks great in it, all brutish and menacing.

As I often mentioned, my reading list follows the seasons. I usually read old legends, mythology books and even medieval fantasy books in the months and weeks leading to Christmas, from November onwards. This is what I did with The Saga of the Volsungs. That said, I might make an exception for Beowulf. Because since I saw this cover I am impatient to read the original story and because it has long been overdue. Also, I need something to calm my longing for a good Dungeons & Dragons game since we ended the campaign last December. It is time to read what inspired the stories which inspired us, my brothers and I, when we started our D&Dr game. And here is one last anecdote about Beowulf: my wife studied it at school, in year seven. One version for children, not the original thing. She found it very boring and really hated it. So when I was all wide eyed in the Wallingford seeing this book, she could not believe I'd buy it so eagerly. Might be a boy thing, I don't know.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hear someone is making another movie of Beowulf. It just lends itself to CGI.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Love the bold graphics!

Ms Misantropia said...

I took English literature at Uni and we read some excerpts of Beowulf, but I can't say it stuck with me. I remember the whole class being pretty bored actually. Maybe it's a case of having to read a) the original, and b) in its entirety, to appreciate it?