Tuesday 23 June 2020

The saffron burglary

I read a bit of crime news recently that made my day, something that was both odd and quite interesting: burglars stole £50,000 worth of saffron from a London warehouse. 10kg of saffron, to be precise. Needless to say, it is the world's most expensive spice. It is very strange and so very British, what with their love of curry. Also, it illustrates how pricy spices can still be, enough that a theft can be quite profitable. I think there is a crime fiction story to invent from this true crime story. Although the first thing I thought when I saw this headline was "the spice must flow". Still, I think the story fits crime fiction better than scifi.

2 comments:

Ygraine said...

An unusual burglary...and, yes, it would make a great basis for a crime story!
I am awaiting the product of your creative imagination...😉👍

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I bet it was the same gang who stole all that maple syrup in Canada a few years back.