Monday 1 June 2020

The Sword in the Stone

I took this picture at the Crich Tramway Village in Derbyshire, more precisely in this little pathway in the woodlands by the village. It is the sword in the stone, most likely the one from the Arthurian legend. And no, it's not the same one as Excalibur. I have seen more impressive displays, but in the woods, it's still a pretty nice sight. I was rewatching the pictures from our day there and it struck me that I must make time to reread proper Arthurian literature. Or read the numerous pieces I have not done so since I finished my PhD, and that was a few decades ago. I am a bit ashamed to admit it really. I need to check my bookshelves, but I know I have at least a few titles here and I think one of my reading objectives this year (and the next) should be to rediscover the Matter of Britain.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So did you pull the sword out?

Ygraine said...

Oh WOW...I would LOVE to see this!!!
As a Arthurian fanatic, it would be a dream come true for me.😊😊
When lockdown is over, I will travel there and (hopefully) find it!!
Thank you so, so much for this fantastic post...👍👍

Sue Bursztynski said...

Enjoy! The Matter of Britain is well worth a re visit. Has your PhD been published? What was the theme? I sometimes think that there are Masters and PhDs that are worth a general read, and should be published properly so everyone can read them.

That sword looks rather like a katana to me. It might be a bit hard to pull from the stone!