Sunday 3 May 2020

Pazuzu

Here is something else interesting that I found today on the Facebook page of the British Museum:the Mesopotamian demon Pazuzu. Over 2,600 years old, and still absolutely terrifying. I don't want to brag, but I knew about Pazuzu before I saw The Exorcist, where he is featured. But I knew little apart from its name and that he was a demon. The British Museum gives me more information: "Pazuzu’s image was regarded as a powerful antidote to plagues and misfortune. He is usually depicted with a scaly body, bird’s talons, the fore-paws of a lion and a scorpion's tail. He is often seen raising his right hand in a gesture of menace." Fearsome, but maybe not so bad after all, if he could protect people against plague and misfortune.

3 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

Yes, I did read somewhere that Pazuzu was protective rather than evil. He looks pretty scary, doesn’t he? Maybe he is menacing the plagues?

Lady M said...

We could use a little Pazuzu magic right now.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Protect us, Pazuzu!