Saturday 30 May 2020

The magpie

I mentioned two weeks ago that I kept seeing a magpie in our street, just on and around the neighbour's front lawn. I managed to take a picture of it yesterday, albeit not a very good one: I had to crop it quite a lot to be able to make it visible. As I said in my last post, magpies are the first sort of birds I noticed when I first moved in England. I always loved them, their distinctive colours, which I always found soberly elegant. So anyway, this is our new little winged visitor, a cute little magpie.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Not so cute when they're squawking outside your window at 5:00 a.m.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Actually, I like their song, though no, not at 5.00 am! The magpies I know have a warbling song. They can get aggressive during nesting season if they think you may invade their nests. At my school, the Principal used to warn staff and students away from the car park at that time - the trees were nearby.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Australian magpies must be a helluva lot more musical than Canadian magpies then, that's all I can say!