Friday 15 May 2020

One for Sorrow...

In the last few days, I kept seeing a magpie in the neighbour's front lawn. when I first came to England, this is the first bird I noticed, as I had never seen one where I come from. I took a fancy in them, in spite of their bad reputation, they just look so nice and elegant. I tried to take a picture, so far I have not been able to. Anyway, thankfully I'm not superstitious, as my wife taught me yesterday that there is a nursery rhyme about magpies which can be quite ominous: "One for sorrow / two for joy / Three for a girl / Four for a boy", etc. I have seldom seen more than one magpie together and as far as I remember never more than two at the same time.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We've got a gazillion magpies in Alberta. I'll send you some.

Lady M said...

We got a lot here in Colorado - the exact same species as yours in the UK. It is interesting how they skip the eastern US. You only find them in the west and occasionally in the northern Minnesota.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lady M, I bet you they're the same noisy bastards we've got in Alberta.