Tuesday 9 October 2018

Musing on mummies

I took this picture in a local pub which is now closed. It was a rough pub with a bad reputation, but they knew how to decorate for Halloween. And thus, there was this mummy full of bandages. I used the picture last year but decided to use it again today. Mummies are great stock monsters for Halloween and far more interesting living dead than say zombies. They have personality (at their best anyway), truly undead with an agenda rather than animated corpses. Yet, they never gained the popularity of werewolves or vampires or even zombies. They appear in some horror stories, but that's it. I know there is a film franchise that has its name, but it hasn't really been exploited and developed the way other monsters associated with Halloween have. I hope one day someone will create a horror story with an original spin on the mummy. And to finish this post, an anecdote: when I show a mummy to little Wolfie in one of the many Halloween books for children I bought him, he always points to his mother, with a naughty grin.

1 comment:

Richard S. said...

" I hope one day someone will create a horror story with an original spin on the mummy."

I can strongly recommend "The Book of the Dead" edited by Jared Shurin and published by Jurassic London (http://www.jurassic-london.com/the-book-of-the-dead.html) for some new mummy stories!

Too bad it's out of print.