Tuesday 16 October 2018

The Terrible Old Man

Halloween cannot be truly perfect, in my opinion, without a bit of H.P. Lovecraft to give someone a good chill. So I try to read at least one of his horror stories during the Halloween season and I encourage my readers to do the same. I have one to suggest to you, which I discovered this summer: The Terrible Old Man. You can read it online if you follow this link. Tell me what you think of it in the comments section. It is very short, less than 1,200 words and it can thus be read within a few minutes, say before bedtime, or on your coffee break. In spite of its short length, it is very dense, with a lot of the themes Lovecraft is fond of. It should give you a good scare. especially since there is nothing creepier than a creepy old man who has shady secrets...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m ready for a new short read , I’m following the link right now, thank You!

Richard S. said...

Thank you for finding this gem of a story, and sharing it with us!

These days, we send our old people to nursing homes and fill them with medications. There are no creepy old men (or women) living in old houses at the end of long, quiet streets.... I don't know if that's a good thing or not.