Saturday 27 October 2018

Rambling about werewolves

I took this picture in Morisson's. Not the best image to accompany my post, but there you go. So I was recently thinking writing a post on werewolves, when it struck me that I have not read that many stories about them, and most stories I read are fairly recent. Werewolves seems to be the poor relative of all the Halloween and horror critters. He has been overshadowed a long time ago by the vampire and more recently by zombies. Even the way a human becomes of werewolves in modern fiction is rather reductive: it is more often than none through contagion, by the bite or clawing of another lycanthrope. In folklore, there were many different ways to become one and contagion was not even one of them. A werewolf could owe his condition to a curse, the alignment of stars in the sky at birth, to witchcraft, to a magic ointment, etc. It would be interesting to revisit this character of horror stories and these methods of infection. The werewolf could benefit from a bit of variety.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You could lead a Werewolf Renaissance, Guillaume.