Saturday 13 October 2018

The mask of Jack

In the quiet little down where we live, we used to have a fancy shop that sold and rent suits and dresses for special occasions, as well as fancy masks for masquerade balls and so on. Going in there at any time, you felt like you were in that shop in Eyes Wide Shut and that you were there for the same reason as the Tom Cruise character: for some shady business that was both decadent and occult. During the Halloween time, the place looked even more shady and one would feel even more strongly its darker atmosphere. Even looking at the window display could give you the chill. And thus, this is where I saw this paper mask of Jack O'Lantern, with a very devilish look, smiling wickedly like some fiend from hell, its pumpkin skin a fiery orange. I regret not buying it, although it might not have been on sale and if it was, it was most likely out of price for a paper mask. Still, it is a very scary one and it gives me the chill every time I look at it. Pleasant chill of course. The shop shut down not too long ago, which is a shame. At least I took this picture. I hope I can find the mask again somewhere else.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Isn't that always the way? I've learned the hard way that if you see something you like, buy it then and there because later it will be nowhere to be found.

Deadpan Flook said...

That mask is almost too creepy! I'd be scared some sort of Halloween 3 - Season of the Witch type stuff might happen if I bought that one... 😁