Saturday 11 April 2020

Feline netsuke

We have a new word of the day, which I literally learned today. It is provided by the Facebook page of the British Museum: netsuke. Which is a small Japanese sculpture, used on clothes. This one, shared today for Caturday, represents a cat. Here is some information about it: "At just 4cm tall this fuzzy feline would have been used as a toggle to attach personal belongings to a traditional Japanese kimono, which didn’t have any pockets." I love learning about cats through the ages and civilizations. I know we will not be visiting the British Museum any time soon, but when it is safe and open again, I think it should be one of our priority cultural outing, as a visit is long overdue.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i have a collection of 'racey' netsukes!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I have a reproduction netsuke of a mermaid which I bought years ago in a curio shoppe in Maui. This little cat netsuke is so sweet!