Thursday 9 April 2020

Fever

No, no, don't worry, I don't have a fever and I am feeling fine (touch wood). I thought I would give some reading suggestion for this age of confinement, as we should all have plenty of more time to read now. If nothing else, the pandemic would have given us that. So the book I would suggest you to get your hands on is Fever by South African crime writer Deon Meyer. Ironically enough, it is not crime fiction but scifi. You might find it too close to comfort, but it is very topical. After a pandemic that destroyed most of the world's population, Willem Storm and his son Nico try to restore civilization in post-apocalyptic South Africa. It may sound cliché, but Meyer really did his research and it shows. This is very believable, and sadly all the more so these days. But like his other novels, it has soul and heart and in spite of the genre, it is almost devoid of misanthropy. In fact, reading this it somewhat restored my faith in the human race.

No comments: