Thursday 6 September 2018

The Scottish accent

Sometimes, when we call certain services here (landline, gas and electricity, what have you) on a free number (0800), instead of being sent to India or wherever, you end up with a Scot over the phone. I am glad, because we are still in the UK and I feel closer to the person providing the service. But I must confess, for all the year I have been living here... I really struggle to understand strong Scottish accents. For shame, as I have Scottish blood myself (albeit from far, far away down my family tree). But listening to a Scot, I sometimes feel like I have never even learned English or even heard English language.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

funny and so true!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It can be difficult understanding ANY Brit, quite frankly.