Saturday 29 September 2018

Cotton-Eyed Joe

My wife was watching Strictly Come Dancing tonight and there was a couple dancing on Cotton-Eyed Joe. I remember the cover by Rednex, even though I only learned tonight researching the song that this was a cover and that it was actually based on an old folk song. Anyway, I used to hear it a lot back in the 90s and I had forgotten how a catchy tune it was. We played it and danced on it at our wedding reception. I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics either, until tonight. Apparently, the song, or at least the Rednex version, is about STDs. I think I lost my innocence. Anyway, here is the official videoclip, which is a silly parody of hillbilly life. I still find it quite funny. And there's that catchy tune anyway, if nothing else.

1 comment:

PJ said...

Il n'y a rien comme un groupe musical suédois pour adapter une chanson folk américaine à la sauce des années 90...