Saturday 12 October 2019

Ghosts (True Stories?)

This today's first countdown to Halloween and another reading suggestion. This one I am of two minds about it. It is from Usborne Young Reading Series and is simply titled Ghosts. Or GHOSTS. Or, as their website titles it: True stories of Ghosts. And this is why I am of two mind about it: these are dramatised stories of real alleged hauntings. I knew a few of them when I read it. And I wonder if this is not basically encouraging young readers to be gullible and superstitious, as this work does not exactly advocates critical thinking. I  bought it in an stand at a local festival a few weeks ago, because... Well, because of the superb cover. I just love this cover. And I must confess, I quite enjoyed reading the stories, even though I am skeptical to say the least about the claims of supernatural activities. It is aimed at children, so nothing is too gory or violent, but it nevertheless can give a few chills. I was thinking about lending it to Blonde Tickler. For children or young teens who are not much into reading, this might actually be the book of the season.

No comments: