Saturday 19 October 2019

Fear of witches

For tonight's countdown to Halloween post, one little anecdotal spooky anecdote. It is accompanied by this lantern which I bought in Waitrose. So anyway, here it is: I'm afraid I have unwillingly made my son scared of witches. I was reading him one of the children books I bought for him, and there was a witch in it, drawn as a rather nasty but not overly menacing old lady. Wolfie: "daddy don't want to read it". He then asked me to put the book in a bag and bring it back to the shop. Just my luck: I got it on Amazon. He's been a bit wary of images of witches since then. It kind of runs in the family: I had a few nightmares involving witches as a child and my brother PJ was also terrified of a witch puppet thing that my parents had bought him for his birthday. Still, I feel a bit guilty about giving Wolfie his first true irrational fear.

3 comments:

PJ said...

T'inventes des histoires, je n'ai jamais eu peur de ma sorcière. Tu penses à l'épouvantail sur le mur.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love that lantern!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Alas, it won't be the last irrational fear he'll have in his life. We all have several. I like that lantern too.