Tuesday 1 October 2019

Countdown to Halloween

We are the first of October, the month of Halloween, so from now on and until the 31st we have started our official countdown to Halloween. This blog will be pretty much exclusively Halloween as its topic for the rest of the month. Halloween in all its aspects, but mainly its horror. That said, to kick start the countdown, I am sharing a picture taken in the pages of the cat lover magazine Miaou. It's a French magazine. I stumbled upon it at the airport and the image struck me. Halloween is not very popular in France, in fact many French are hostile to it: too American, too consumerist, too sinister, or so they say. I did my bid back at uni to defend and popularize my favourite holiday to the French students I met. So when I saw this image, I was quite happy. Sure, it is a bit too sickeningly sweet for my taste: a rosy cheeked black cat with flowers on it, a pre Jack O'Lantern pumpkins with hearts, this is not really how I imagine Halloween. But it shows it is becoming popular in France. Anyway, watch this space, I will soon blog more. Until then, happy countdown.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like that image! I like an old-fashioned kind of Halloween myself. No gore or horror. Just fun!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am not into the gore or horror either. i too like old fashioned halloween! let the celebration begin!

Lady M said...

It is a charming picture. I hope the holiday catches on in France. I think culturally, they could really bring something to the Halloween table.