Sunday 27 October 2019

The Room in the Tower

For tonight's countdown to Halloween post (well, for the one in English, as I already blogged in French), a simple reading suggestion. It is a horror story I reread a few weeks ago and which I wanted to share tonight, as it is a genuinely scary one as well as an old classic: The Room in the Tower by E.F. Benson. You can read it online here. I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say that this is both a ghost story and a vampire story, of a sort of vampire that is slightly different than the modern day bloodsuckers: if this one does have an appetite for blood, it is far more etheral than your usual vampire, as much as a ghost. There are also nightmares that turn (at least) partly real, a familiar and friendly environment that has a sinister secret, it's a very neat chiller that deserves to be rediscovered. Take some time to read it, then tell me what you thought of it in the comments.

No comments: