Wednesday 9 October 2019

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

For tonight's countdown to Halloween's reading suggestion: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, by Alvin Schwartz, illustrations by Stephen Gammell. I know it's a trilogy, but I only read so far the first book. It's a short and easy read, of horror stories for children (older children), based on folk tales, urban legends and the like. Some I knew already, some I didn't. I have yet to tell any of them in the dark (due to a lack of a willing audience in this household). The stories themselves were good enough, but I have a confession to make: I bought the book for the images and I think they are in themselves worth the purchase. Eerie, elegant, beautiful, deliciously macabre. Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover, because the cover is what makes the book. Apparently, it has been turned into a film. I don't care about watching it. I think I would be disappointed.

No comments: