Sunday 6 October 2019

The Haunting of Hill House

For today's countdown to Halloween post, another book suggestion. You will have a good many like these from me, as Halloween is for me and since I am an adult mainly a literary experience. I guess it is the same for many people. So I suggest today that you add The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson on your spooky reading list. I briefly blogged about it in 2017. A classic, maybe the classic of psychological horror. It made me discover Jackson's writing. Like I said in my post on the topic then, the ghosts of the story, if there are any, are barely perceptible presence. What the characters are facing might only be their own demons and Hill House might be feeding on the fears and anxieties of the living. It has been adapted in movies (the first one was allegedly great, the second one rubbish) and I know it is now a TV series, but I'd recommend that you read the novel first.

2 comments:

Lady M said...

I watched the TV series last year and really enjoyed it but yes, I must read the book. I was completely unaware of it till now.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

She is the queen of psychological horror -- and no gore!