Thursday 19 February 2015

Dragons, Gods & Spirits from Chinese Mythology

I have learned that today is the Lunar/Chinese New Year. Strangely enough, I bought two days ago, completely randomly, the book Dragons, Gods & Spirits from Chinese Mythology. I walked in a second-hand bookshop, it was there, I bought it. I spent five minutes in the shop, if that. I promised myself to go easy on books purchases, as my bookshelves are full, but I simply could not resist. And to rationalize it (by insights), it was far cheaper than what I would have paid on Amazon). The worst thing is, I have this book, in its translation in French, since my childhood. It is from the same publisher and the same collection as my book on Viking mythology. I just wanted the original.

So I will revisit, again, a childhood memory. You can see on the cover Sun Wukong fighting a dragon. I blogged about him before, here and here. This was I think my favorite story in the whole book. But I will happily re-read all of them. I am kind of tempted to get my hands on all the books of this collection, which were real treasures. Until then, I will read this one eagerly.

3 comments:

PJ said...

On n'a jamais eu toute la collection. Il nous manque la mythologie « des Indiens peaux-rouges » si je me rappelle bien l'appelation utilisée qui ne passerait pas aujourd'hui, et celle des Aztèques, me semble aussi disponible en Français.

Guillaume said...

Oh il y en a pleins qu'on n'a pas (et qui n'ont peut-être pas été traduits): celui de l'Amérique du Sud, de l'Afrique, de la Russie, des Celtes, j'en oublie sans doute.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Gung hey fat choy! Happy New Year!