Tuesday 3 January 2012

Homemade sandwich treat (and Christmas leftovers)

I was back to work today, and while it is a Tuesday and therefore the week will be shorter, I thought I would treat myself to make me forget that I had pretty lousy half-baked, half done holidays. I need to fight the post-Christmas blues, and all that. Sandwich treats are a great way to improve a gloomy mood, they are a great way to make a good day even better and they don't have to be on Friday.

So I made myself a sandwich, made with leftovers from Christmas, which is very fitting. On a ciabatta (the only bit that I purchased new), I put some Brie cheese and cranberry sauce. The cranberry sauce had been made by myself for Christmas. A bit too sweet (I put a little bit more sugar than needed), but still very good. The first day back at work officially after those lousy, half-baked was fittingly gloomy and miserable, so eating my sandwich today really cheered me up. Because it was delicious. And there is something cheerful about the cultural origins of all its composites: French Brie, Italian ciabatta and North American cranberry sauce, from a family (albeit simplistic) recipe. Maybe I am reading too much into it. It was just a sandwich after all. But it was a good one when I needed it.

4 comments:

tao.owl said...

I could really use one of those yummy sandwiches lately. I have rye, gorgonzola and fig preserve in my fridge right now, hmmm, this is giving me an idea!

Anonymous said...

Love turkey, spiced cranberry sauce and brie sandwich any day in the week following Christmas, with leftover stuffing on the side.

Anonymous said...

Never underestimate a good sarmie, and yours sounds scrumptious. Glad to hear the bread was fresh though:-)

Christmas Parties UK said...

There is nothing better than a leftovers turkey sandwich! Mmmm It doesn't matter how stuffed I am I just have to have a Turkey sandwich christmas day evening, Full of cranberry sauce and stuffing. On boxing day or later the brie goes in too! It is always seriously good! :D