Tuesday 6 October 2020

The Tomb of Dracula (a memory)

I pride myself of being one of the few people who first discovered Dracula pretty much by reading the original novel, which is still my favourite horror novel. For the story of experience please read this post from 2018. The following autumn, so in 1990, I was eager to read as much horror as I could, especially things related to vampires, so a friend lend me his ownibus volume of The Tomb of Dracula. the first story was Death Rides this Train. While I enjoyed the atmosphere of this particularly story enough, if for no better that it was set in a train, I was never impressed by the whole series. Even as a teenage boy, I was smug enough to say that it was a cheap rip off a great novel and that it was a superhero team comics in disguise. I could not honestly say that I disliked it, I mean there were some nice moments and some nicely spooky images, but I always thought this Dracula lacked bite. Still, I read the omnibus volume in two or three evenings, and it was nice enough a read in the weeks leading to Halloween. I would get my hand on a few comics of ToD just for fun. Maybe I would enjoy them more now.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My post on Friday will feature Dracula!