Wednesday 21 October 2020

The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories

For today's countdown to Halloween's post, another reading suggestion: The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories. Maybe my favourite anthology, although this may be a case of first love: this was the very first anthology of ghost stories I ever bought, back in 2006, before this blog, to get myself into a Halloween mood. It made me discover so many authors: M.R. James, E. Nesbit, Edith Wharton, Algernon Blackwood, to name a few. It covers two centuries of ghost stories, so its a great book for a crash course in ghostly fiction. It has been for me anyway. Obviously, it has a great deal of classics. And since many stories are set during Christmastime (as traditionally this is when ghost stories were published), you can carry on reading it after Halloween.

No comments: