Wednesday 7 October 2020

Whatever happened to the Hobgoblin?

For today's countdown to Halloween's post, a very sad story, which I hesitated to blog about, as it upsets me so much. My readers know how much I love Wychwood Brewery's Hobgoblin. For the beer of course, its taste and its nice ruby colour (well, the original ruby one, as it has a blonde variety). Now Hobgoblin is also the officious beer of Halloween, or has been for years. And every year, they come up with a new design for the beers sold around October. Design that has jack o'lanterns and other seasonal things on them. I love Hobgoblin's label designs, during Halloween even moreso. But last year, they updated their label design into something... Well, something blah. You can see a picture of the new design at your right. Absolutely horrible.

And because of this, there was no seasonal design for Halloween last year and there has been none this year either, as far as I know. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to find at reduced price (£4.00 for a bunch of four cans, a bargain) cans of Hobgoblin from the previous year with the good old seasonal design, so Hobgoblin remained last year my beer of choise for the season. But this year, well, I don't know what to do. I know I can and (if i put myself into it) will find suitable beers for Halloween, heck every year for the countdown I blog about a spooky beer or two I discovered. But in the end, it will not be the same. Because I have equated Hobgoblin with the beer of Halloween for more than ten years now. It is hard to see it with a label that reminds me of an old Labatt or Molson. It is just so very sad. Well at least my glass still looks good, with the witch on it. Still, why can't we have the old seasonal design back?

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's a real disappointment!

Bob Johns said...

I will say I love the beer glass you use!