Saturday 17 October 2020

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

 For today's countdown to Halloween post, I am suggesting that you watch an animated adaptation of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. It is simply called Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This may seems... strange, but I found it a few days ago and I really enjoyed it, in spite of the silly things added to appeal to children. Some changes are maybe more justified: Edward Hyde instead of a short man as he was in the novella is here a hulking brute. All things considered, it is a surprisingly faithful adaptation of the source material and it has some genuinely scary moments. Better still: it does not shy away from the tragic aspect of the story. The body count is even higher than in the original story. And the murders, even though they are never directly depicted, are meant to be gruesome. I have to say, this is the kind of film I wish I could have watched when I was a child (although I don't think my parents would have allowed me to watch this). Anyway, it takes a bit less than an hour to go through, so here it is and enjoy:

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A favourite classic story!