Monday 12 October 2020

Mr Skeleton

You can see here "Mr Skeleton", one of the many Halloween decorations currently on display in our house. Mr Skeleton was christened by Wolfie, who took a liking to him when we decorated the house. Or so I thought he had taken a liking to him, as he wanted to give him a name. But yesterday, Wolfie told us that he has been having nightmares, people with monsters and "méchants" (badguys). He also told us that he did not like Mr Skeleton all that much, come to think of it. So I am a bit concerned that my love for Halloween and all things spooky might not all be shared by my son. And if he does get too scared, I might have to keep the Halloween decorations, especially Mr Skeleton, in my office. I will of course try to educate Wolfie about the holiday, showing him that it is not really scary, that this is meant to overcome our fears, that in the end it is "just pretend" as we say to him. If you have any advice, please let me know in the comments section.

2 comments:

Lady M said...

I would give him a few years. Right now he feels young and vulnerable and still believes in the supernatural. But my daughter outgrew that around the age of 8 and told me why Santa was impossible - "because reindeer don't fly" she said. She used to be terrified but now at the age of 27, she is planning a Halloween wedding.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Maybe just focus on "cutesy" Halloween decorations until Wolfie is a bit older. You know, fluffy black kitties in smiling jack-o-lanterns, etc. I hope such decorations are still available in this day and age! They were common back in the dark ages when I was a kid.