Friday 10 October 2014

The fish pie of the Kingsbridge Inn in Totnes

This post is killing two birds with one stone, so to speak: I am both observing my Friday tradition of plugging a meal of a certain pub or restaurant and it is also a countdown to Halloween post. You will see why. Anyway, during our last holiday in Devon, my wife and I went to the Kingsbridge Inn in Totnes. That was my idea, she was not so enthusiastic at the menu at first, because of little vegetarian choice (or so she thought). But the pub itself was lovely and atmospheric, just dark enough to be homely and atmospheric. I thought it would be a perfect place to drink in a cold autumn night near Halloween, because I have this kind of mindset. But I digress. After an apéritif, we hesitated a bit about staying for dinner, then we asked about the menu and my wife was brave enough to tell the owner about her reservations. He actually asked the chef to come to us and explain what he could do! The man was enthusiastic and he did something on the spot for Veggie Carrie (a veggie sausages and mash). I had my eyes set on the fish pie since I had seen it on the board, so this is what I ordered. Pictured on the left. It was hearty, filling, delicious. In fact, it was so filling that I could not finish it and could not have a dessert. But I cannot complain about portion sizes or value for money: I ate plenty and it was good, honest food. And so far, maybe the best fish pie I had in a pub. You can read my wife's own review on Trip Advisor. I am merely plugging the fish pie.

So what does it have to do with Halloween, will you ask. Apart from the look of the pub, especially inside, the Kingsbridge Inn was advertising at the time of our visit ghost tours. I heard the landlord mentioning to some clients that the pub had the reputation to be haunted. I don't believe in ghosts, for the record, I think very little of paranormal tourism in general and from what I could gather paranormal tourism seems to be going strong in Devon. That said, I am very much into local folklore and legends, old or new, urban or not. So I kind of liked imagining myself in an old Hammer movie or a ghost story and having a meal in a haunted pub. I almost regretted not seeing one, or not being for an hour the superstitious child I used to be. But what a fish pie!

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So long as the fish pie didn't come back to haunt you, all is well.

Ms Misantropia said...

I take the chance to eat in pubs whenever I can, cause it's usually such hearty meals. Though I'm not vegetarian, so I don't know how easy that is.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

mmmm...fish pie sounds good!