Tuesday 7 October 2014

Barn (ghost) Owl

This is a horrid pic I took of a barn owl in the Chestnut Centre in Derbyshire, a sanctuary for animals, mainly otters and owls. My wife and I visited it with a childhood friend of hers and her husband. We loved it. I took many pictures, the ones of the owls were mainly poor one, like this one, which is actually the less bad of all the ones I took of barn owls. But I wanted to upload at least one for tonight's countdown to Halloween post. Because barn owls, as I posted before, are at the origins of many ghost stories. Because they are ghostly in appearance, because they could easily hide in a barn or an attic, then reveal themselves for a second with this spectral white face they have, then fly away or hide in the shadow. I think that however bad this picture is, it does show the ghostly nature of barn owls and this is why I wanted to upload it tonight.

3 comments:

suzanne said...

In addition to their appearance, I think the sounds they make add to their creepiness.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

this is a rather scary photo!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well I am a total Owl lover of all kinds. And I think you are right that the white face could be a spooky sight to behold in the dark of night! We bought an Owl House this spring at a craft show and have put it up in our Oak Grove in the back yard. We missed the mating season when they look for nests, so I am really hoping one moves in sooner than later. I see and hear them in my yard all the time, but none have moved into the house yet!

Also wanted to give you a heads up that you are one of the two winners of the Edgar Allan Poe book, and I think you'll like it. So send me a note to artfulgypsy@cfl.rr.com with the address where you want it mailed and I'll get a Halloween Package out to you asap! And thanks for making the effort to post! :o)