Friday 31 October 2014

Trick or Treat

Today at work, as the day was dragging on and I was getting really fed up, as I wanted to be home and enjoy Halloween, I said joking: "I think I will stop to have a toffee apple tonight. With a Razor blade in it." I was only joking of course: I hate toffee apples. Anyway, this must have been a good joke, as people laughed. At the end of the month, it must have been everyone's state of mind. It deserves to be a great unknown line.

Anyway, I thought it illustrated pretty well the bad reputation trick or treat has in the UK. Something that allows sick and evil minds to hurt little children. As a child, I was warned about the dangers of finding a razor blades in apples and needles in marshmallows. Here, it is also considered a form of begging. But tonight, I was happy to see that it seemed quite popular among the children of this English town. There were a decent number of Jack O'Lanterns in houses and many children. And people seemed to be enjoying this Halloween night. Trick or treat does end early though, even on a Friday night. I cannot help but feel a bit like Halloween is already over. But my Jack O'Lanterns are burning nicely and the night is still on.

2 comments:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

And a Happy All Hallow's Eve to you Guillaume!It's been grand sharing the season with you!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I was little, there was no fear about eating anything that people gave us for Halloween. Some people even gave homemade treats like popcorn balls. Yes, that was a million years ago in simpler times.