Sunday 6 October 2013

Halloween: Magic, Mystery and the Macabre

I haven't blogged a countdown to mHalloween post yet today and I did not upload a picture of autumnal Montreal yet. Shame on me. The pictures will have to wait sadly, nevertheless I will write a Halloween-related post. The title of it is the same as the book (or one of the books) I am reading right now, edited by Paula Guran. I was looking to horror stories to read this season, but specifically related to Halloween, not merely horror stories, so I would avoid those many ghosts stories set during Christmastime. I was checking on Amazon when I found this one. I ordered it immediately. However, there was a catch I hadn't noticed: in fact, I wanted to buy this book, simply titled Halloween and edited by the same Paula Guran. The first book, published in 2011, was an anthology of horror stories set during Halloween written by reknown authors (Lovecraft and E. Nesbit for instance). It had inspired the creation of Halloween: Magic, Mystery and the Macabre. Maybe it is the title that appealed to me most, and the cover of course, with its grinning Jack O'Lanterns. So I ordered the first one when I discovered my mistake, but of course I kept this one. I am now the proud owner of a whole collection of horror stories, mainly classic tales of terror, but now, thanks to this book, very contemporary ones too. I have read one story so far. One story and a half in fact. Quite entertaining.

1 comment:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am going to order this for the blog tech. he loves books like these. he is such a lovecraft fan. hope you are enjoying montreal!