Tuesday 15 October 2013

A bird in the house

This is my countdown to Halloween post, which is completely anecdotal. A small event happened this morning and I did not even witness it. Basically, a bird, a starling to be precise, what we call étourneau in Québec, got lost in the chimney of my parents' fireplace in Chicoutimi. It happened before, but usually it was the basement's fireplace, this time it was the upstairs one. My dad managed to get a hold of him and release him in nature. So he saved a bird's life.

This isHalloween related for two reasons: 1)in folklore, a bird showing up in a house is considered a bad omen. 2)It reminds me of a scene in The Birds. I have seen the movie fairly often, it is not on my usual Halloween list of horror movies, but I do watch it form time to time. I even bought the original novel by Daphne Du Maurier. I haven't read it yet. Just for kicks, I have uploaded the famous scene form the movie.

4 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that is scary! i recently hard a bird in my house and it was unnerving!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I saw "The Birds" on TV when I was a kid and it scared the living bejesus right out of me. Thanks for nothing, Hitchcock!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Yes, exactly what "Debra she who seeks" said!!!!!

PJ said...

C'est drôle parce qu'on en avait parlé justement en fin de semaine des merles tombés dans notre cheminée. Ce genre d'évènement est rare. Coïncidence...