Tuesday 27 December 2011

The Holly and the Ivy

Christmas day is already technically over and my holidays will be over soon. The Twelve days of Christmas, for an employee of the private sector, is a long time gone tradition. So until I get the post Christmas blues (tomorrow morning), I thought about uploading here one Christmas carol while it is still Christmastime. I once mentioned that the imagery of Christmas reminds me of Viking mythology. This particular carol especially, The Holly and the Ivy, which is maybe more than any filled with Pagan elements. Rising of the sun, running of the deer, this is pure primitivism. It is also directly linked to the story of the death of Balder. The plants were also associated with fertility myths in Celtic cultures. Here it is interpreted by Mediaeval Babes. Maybe the last Christmas carol I will listen to until next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite carols. Bliss to listen to. It may be the last carol you listen to, but I can say with certainty that before you know it the year will have time-warped and it will be Christmas again. Ho ho ho til next year:-)